Children with Special Needs

Parents of children with special needs may have additional considerations in finding child care that is sensitive and respectful.

“Questions to Ask When Seeking Child Care for Children with Special Needs,” from the Center for Inclusive Child Care, helps family members when they seek an early care and education program for a child with special needs.

These resources help families access services and child care to help their children grow and develop.


Help Me Grow
Help Me Grow is a referral portal that connects infants, toddlers, and preschoolers with developmental concerns to their local school district’s early intervention or preschool special education program. The school district’s response may include a screening or evaluation to determine eligibility for support services at no cost, regardless of income level or family immigration status. If you have questions about your child’s development, or if you think your child might need extra help to learn, visit the website or call 866.693.4769.


Center for Inclusive Child Care (CICC)
The Center for Inclusive Child Care is a resource network supporting quality inclusive care for young children and their caregivers. They offer free coaching to tribally or DHS licensed child care programs in Minnesota. Coaches partner with programs helping them build strategies that assist children in their social emotional growth and decrease challenging behaviors, which helps prevent suspension and expulsion. Learn more by visiting their website or calling 651.641.8339.


PACER Center
PACER Center is a parent training and information center for families of children with disabilities. Located in Minneapolis, it serves families across the nation, as well as those in Minnesota. PACER provides individual assistance, workshops, publications, and other resources to help families make decisions about education and other services for their child or young adult with disabilities.